There are several types of licensing agreements.  The Trademark Licensing Office will aid individuals, companies, departments and organizations in securing the proper agreement and forms. Types of agreements include the following.

Administered by the Collegiate Licensing Company(CLC)



For production of emblematic merchandise to be sold by an individual or company at retail: This license is intended for companies that are capable of extensive production and retail distribution of their products and/or are introducing a unique and commercially viable product to the collegiate market.

  • $500 application fee
  • $250 annual administrative fee
  • 10% royalty rate
  • Royalty advances dependent on product category


License is for internal suppliers; products sold to the institution for internal consumption only and cannot be resold by restricted licensees

  • Exempt from reporting royalties
  • $100 application fee
  • $100 annual administrative fee
  • Advance fee waived


For local companies and/or individuals:

  • Geographically confined to in-state or “local region” companies that intend to make products for resale, can hold licenses for 1-5 schools from the local area
  • $100 application fee
  • $50 annual administrative fee
  • Report royalties quarterly; annual advance fees required
  • Ability to renew local agreements for multi-year terms based on performance and university approval


Administered by the Office of Trademark Licensing:


College Crafter

A College Crafter is defined as individual producing domestic handcrafted items in the home with collegiate marks and selling/distributing to individual consumers via events or direct sales. This might include events organized by church, school, county, state, craft, holiday, Junior League, street festivals, gift marts, or flea markets. In addition, no more than (100) units may be sold per year with no more than ($2500) total sales per year per University policy. No sales will be permitted on a wholesale basis or to a third party retailer. For more information please refer to the College Crafter Program.


For use of University of Tennessee indicia for commercial purposes for a specific, limited time. For more information, please visit the Licensing FAQ or contact either the Collegiate Licensing Company or the Trademark Licensing Office directly.